Despite the broken-up four day week, we should still make some progress. Here's what to expect:
Math: we've been working through a variety of visual and mental addition strategies. Expect a quick quizzy by the end of the week. I'd like to see what you have learned, and how you show your thinking.
L.A.: We have begun a read-along book study. Refugee, by Alan Gratz is an absolutely great grade 6 book. While you each have a copy of the book to read, I ask that you don't read ahead. As tempting as that is, some of the activities I have planned depend on you not knowing what happens next in the book. Note: if you are absent from a block when we listen and read along, you will be responsible for catching up on the part you missed. Two options for this. One, take your copy of the book home with you and read. Or two, listen to the part you missed through the audiobook version. I use Spotify Premium to access this for our classroom.
Writing: October will be upon us before the end of the week. That means only one thing for Writing! It's storytime. This is your chance to launch a short, spooky story. Every year I write my own bone-chilling tale, and I really enjoy reading the stories you will write in October. More to come on this later in the week.
Social Studies: Your posters are looking great! Let's finish and present the 30 articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the end of the week.
Science: We will work toward beginning our first unit in Science before the end of the week. Before we do, though, let's discuss STEM.
PE: many thanks to all for showing up prepared for PE. Many of you are keeping a pair of PE shoes in your locker. This is a great idea! That way, you will always have them here, even if you forget that we have PE on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Lates and Absences: A reminder to all that classes begin at 8:40. Please be here on time... it can be disruptive if you arrive late. Thanks.
Absences are inevitable. There's a nasty cold going around. Please stay home if you are not well! Family events, special sport or performance opportunities, and travel are other great reasons to miss out on school. Parents, I do appreciate a quick note telling me if your child will not be here. Please be sure to copy emails to the school office, too. Thanks.
That's all for this week.